hi!

ich bin nicht oft in diesem unterforum, lurke jedoch täglich im kraftsportforum umher... ich bin beim stöbern durch artikel auf einen gestoßen, der mich fasziniert... und zwar erklärt hier eine athletin des westside barbell clubs ihre sicht betreffend frauen und powerlifting... ich denke man kann das ein bisschen aufs bodybuilding ummünzen...

ein starke frau, die weiß was sie will, aber lest selbst:

Going Against The Grain”
Females in Powerlifting, Part I
By Ericka Lawson
Diablo Barbell Club
For EliteFTS.com

We are raised to be fragile, dependent, submissive. To go against these things wouldn’t be feminine or ladylike. Young boys are told to shake off their bumps and bruises, while young girls are soothed and cuddled when injured. We are taught to say the right things and not to be bold with our thoughts and opinions, for if we do we will be perceived as bitchy.

I never fit that mold. I am strong, independent and dominant. I say what I think and stand by every word of it, whether or not it is politically correct. This can make aspects of life very difficult. Most men are intimidated and women catty. So, where would I fit in?

All my life I had been an athlete and tomboy of sorts. I have always loved the camaraderie of being on a team and the thrill of competition and victory. I loved training, the burn and the sweat. Add to that the fact that I am a “BIG” girl, a solid 5'10" 197lbs. I didn’t quite fit the mold for anything, or so I thought.
As luck would have it I stumbled over a Q&A where Dave Tate talked about his wife getting into powerlifting. I was inspired and began to research. In powerlifting it’s ok to be “BIG”, intense, strong and female. That was it. I was sold and sought out a gym to train at and a coach to train with. I found my home at Diablo Barbell.

There it is ok for me to be a smart ass and talk like a sailor. I can walk in wearing a skirt and heels and twenty minutes later be taking max squat attempts. No one there expects me to be fragile and feminine. They expect me to be strong and work my ass off.

Women are constantly looking for ways to empower themselves yet are afraid to go against what society deems appropriate behavior for a woman. Powerlifting is empowerment in its purest form. It is raw strength. Proof that women too can be strong and still be women. For so long outsiders have viewed strong women as masculine. It is time for that to end. More and more at powerlifting competitors are attractive and beautiful women thus proving that strength doesn’t have to have a square jaw and a deep voice. Proving that breasts and a pretty face isn’t a sign of being fragile.

Powerlifting is a sport that is very misunderstood. This lack of understanding is magnified if you are female. “You are going to hurt yourself.” “You are going to have problems when you are older.” “Your muscles are going to get all big and manly.” Most people just don’t get it. Yet, the bar understands. No matter how hormonal you are or whether or not you had a good hair day. The bar understands. Everything else can go wrong, but when you get under the bar you have the opportunity to make it all right. It is a place to take out all of life’s stress and daily frustrations. If more women knew what kind of a stress release lifting is they might give it a whirl.

This generation of women has the opportunity to “go against the grain” and teach our daughters that strength isn’t exclusive to men. To defy the magazine covers adorned with sickly thin models and teach young girls that being a size 13 is still gorgeous. That beauty can be found with chalk on her hands, a lever belt on her waist and a muscular physique. That is my goal as a woman, a powerlifter and mother of a seven year old daughter; to empower the next generation through weight training and powerlifting. I want to help young girls to see the benefits of being strong in mind and body.

Powerlifting, it’s the squat, bench and deadlift. Yet it is so much more. This is especially true for a woman.

schönen tag!
bipolar